Monday, February 3, 2014

Rumor Roundup: Lex Luthor Officially Casted. Surprise from Sony. Super Bowl Ads.


Things were pretty slow last week. Sorry about that, but Something Cinematic is ready to get things started this week with another addition to Rumor Roundup. Take it away Klancy:

Jesse Eisenberg is Lex Luthor?! Oh and Jeremy Irons is Alfred
I take one week off and this happen. Yes, if you thought the news that Man of Steel 2 getting pushed back a year was shocking; Warner Bros dropped a bombshell on fans. As you have no doubt heard by now, none other than Jesse Eisenberg has been cast as Lex Luthor. This is really bizarre casting, to the point that I don’t even know how to comment on it. Clearly by casting Eisenberg, they are taking the character in a much different direction than I would have ever thought to, but what direction that is remains to be seen. My big worry is that Eisenberg has never had the commanding presence that Lex is supposed to have, but like I said, this casting is taking things to into a very different direction. I honestly need a trailer, before I decide how I feel about this.

Jeremy Irons was also cast as Alfred Pennyworth, leading me to think they may be playing up the former British agent backstory for the character that DC tends to use a lot in their Elseworld stories. 

Sly Cooper Movie On The Way?
Speaking of unexpected announcements, Sony surprised fans by releasing this teaser trailer for a Sly Cooper movie coming in 2016. For those not familiar, Sly Cooper was a series of platformers with stealth elements from the PS2 days, and most recently released a fourth game was released last year. Not a whole lot is known about the project, but I’m sure we will be hearing more soon. Although I will say that the animation looks incredible in this teaser, if nothing else we are in for a good looking movie. In terms of character design, I like how Sly and Bentley look, but Murray seems off. I can’t put my finger on why, but this seems to be another example of the Uncanny Valley. But they still have a long way to go, so hopefully they can smooth out his design before the final product.

Superbowl Trailer Breakdown:
Finally a brief rundown of the new movie trailers to be released during Sunday’s big game, because let’s be honest, that game didn't leave much to talk about. Several of these released a full trailer online, so in those cases, that’s what I will be looking at.

Captain America: The Winter Solider – The more I see of this movie, the more I get pumped up for it. This is looking as though it may be the best Super Hero movie since Avengers, and seeing as Marvel is so pleased with early test screenings,  that they’re in talks to bring the directors back for the third film, I say it’s a safe bet this is going to be an excellent time at the movies.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – Why does it feel like I just saw the whole movie? I’m having a hard time getting excited for this one, I hope it’s good, but I’m worried they are trying to do too much in it.

Need for Speed – Are you sure this isn’t another Fast & Furious movie? 

Transformers: Age of Extinction – I’m trying to hold back judgment on this movie, but this trailer makes it hard. I mean this is only a 30 second spot and I’m already worried about the acting. Aside from the new cast, it looks like more of the same.

Noah – I can already tell by watching this trailer, this film is going to tick a lot of people off.  I personally saw nothing in here that makes me want purchase a ticket. My advice would be stay home, and rewatch Gladiator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment