Saturday, October 5, 2013

Can Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch work in Age of Ultron?

Well now that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have been cast in Avengers:Age of Ultron, it is now time to ask the million dollar question: where do the super powered siblings fit in this blockbuster? When the characters were first announced, I was ok with the two showing up in upcoming sequel.  They've been Avengers in the comics,so it made a little sense. However, this was before it was announced that the film was going to feature Ultron; and since that then, I've been scratching my head of what the purpose is behind these characters. So How can Quicksilver and Scarlet work in movie Age of Ultron.

Alright, let me bring up the first problem. The biggest issue is how us the film going to handle the characters' back story. For those who don't know: Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are mutants; and they are not just mutants, but the two are the children of Magneto. Now as many sources indicate, Marvel Studios have to play these character in the right way. The studio cannot say that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Mutants, nor can they mention their parentage. That's a lot of details to leave out for proper character development. As much as I think that Joss Whedon can establish these characters, the fact remains is that I want to see these details with both characters so it not only expands their development, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe.


The other thing that I feel takes away from Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is the presence of Ultron. I was stoked when the film's title was announced; and though we're missing out on Pym in Ultron's origins, I completely understand why Joss Whedon wants to bring this villain on the silver screen. That being said, the fact that Ultron is in the sequel I feel takes away from Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. It's almost like these characters are too much for the movie and that all we need for this sequel to be successful are the 6 Avengers and Ultron.

So with everything I've said, you think that having these siblings in Age of Ultron would be bad. Well I'm still on the fence about the whole thing, but given that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are officially in the movie, I can see how it can work. Joss Whedon has stated that the siblings will be villains (or start off as villains). I could see Ultron manipulating the pair for the first half of film; and eventually when the world is in chaos, the two come to their senses and they join up with The Avengers. That's how I see it, but will it happen? We'll see.


Having Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in this film can lead to a lot of skepticism. However, if there is anyone who could make this stick, it is Joss Whedon. It may not look like it right now, but I'm sure Whedon can find a way to make these two character memorable. Plus, with actors like Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson playing the two, I think we can get two great performances for this anticipated sequel. I want to see more on Age of Ultron's Quicksilver and Scarlet Witchbefore I can make a proper judgement; however, what I don't want to see is this:


No comments:

Post a Comment